Thursday 7 December 2017

Necromunda 2.0: Wikipedia to the Rescue

After posting yesterday about the Fanatic range of miniatures that was released around 1999 and greatly expanded the range of gangs and hired guns available to players of second edition Necromunda, I did a little digging and found a very helpful Wikipedia page that details all of the sculpts in their unpainted (lack of) glory.

Click here to check it out.

I have to say that it pretty much confirmed my thoughts about this period in Necromunda's history, with none of the miniatures impressing me and the newer gangs just seeming to be fairly banal variations on existing themes.

I mean, if you have Redemptionists, are Choas Cultists really that big of a deal?

Scavies existing must make the addition of Plague Zombies and Ash Waste Nomads just a variation on a theme, right?

Maybe it's just me!

There were also some new characters, such as Cal Jericho, that I'd heard of and then forgotten over the intervening years, as well as a couple of new Bounty Hunters that I'm going to talk about below, as I think that they pretty much sum up the way in which the distinctive character had been bled out of the range by this point.

Fanatic Bounty Hunter #1 - Everybody loves head...

Urgh - where to start.

What marks this out as a bounty hunter?

Respirator, carapace armour, combi-weapon that has all the presence of a radiator with a trigger and shoulder-stock attached and, worst of all, a severed head - really, I mean who carries a severed head around with them like that?

Fanatic Bounty Hunter #2 - Shotgun Deading...

Where the first one was over the top and sported the ugliest combi-weapon in history, this guy just makes me want to cry for the fact that he's so hopelessly generic.

A shotgun, and that's it!

Fanatic Bounty Hunter #3 - She's different because she's a woman...

It's a great idea to make one of the three bounty hunters female, as the gender was woefully under-represented in the first edition of the game (I've also never been sure why non-Escher gangs can't have female members, so if there's a reason in the fluff, please be sure to enlighten me in the comments below), but the only thing notable about this miniature is the size of her chest.

Apart from that, she's only toting a pistol and a blade - so does breast-induced brain freeze count as a weapon in the Underhive?

I don't despise these miniatures, and if the chance arose to snap them up at a bargain price (dream on, they're averaging £30+ from the usual BIN offenders right now), then I'd probably do so, but I'd be using them as gangers, scum or NPC civilians.

I guess my problem is that, in comparison to the original three Necromunda bounty hunters, these guys are just so painfully vanilla and they have no callbacks to the classic lore that was threaded throughout the first edition (such as one of them having the Brat style of coiffured hair from way back in the days of Confrontation).

Maybe I'm wrong and there's an aspect of these miniatures that I'm missing entirely, so if you disagree with my rather scathing examination of them, then let me know all about it in the comments below.



2 comments:

  1. These all happened while I was away from the hobby, and left me cold (except Karl Jericho, who I picked up recently, but that's more to do with my love for the character than the sculpt, where I think his companion Scabbs is actually a better miniature than the main man) - the only good thing in this era of releases was the Enforcers gang, which is lovely, but the rest of the miniatures (with their separate hands - good for options, bad for poses) largely were very blah... I'd probably pick up the female bounty hunter if I saw her going cheap though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty much the same for me, they released the second edition of Necromunda and these less than stellar minis whilst my attention was elsewhere.

      I'd pick up a lot of them if they were going cheap as well, but most likely modify them as well.

      Delete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...