Tuesday 7 July 2020

Trash Terrain: Sci-Fi Garage/Pit Stop

Panzer Frau: "Don't worry about me needing to stop for repairs during the race - my co-pilot's already the pits!"
Awooga: "Huh...wha...wait!"
I openly admit to stealing ideas that appeal to me when I see them online or plastered all over social media, and when I saw what one of my favourite bloggers had done with a playset from the Micro Machines Action Fleet range from Star Wars Episode I, I was intrigued.


As usual, he'd done an excellent job of making it into something to be proud of, and so I started searching Ebay for something similar, finally settling on the Pod Racer Hanger Bay, which can be found going pretty cheap second hand.

Image Used under fair usage rules
The basic set is fairly open-plan, and the scale is a little too small for 28mm, but there seemed to be a great deal of potential, and so I almost immediately began to remove what I didn't want and add onto it what I thought would make it more serviceable for my own purposes.






I started out by adding a roof and then blocking off the back of the main bay area, but decided to keep the little room/passage at the side open to allow access from either side as well as into the bay too from the internal arch.

From there, it was just a case of covering the ground with budgie sand and PVA glue, waiting for that to dry and then hitting the whole thing with an undercoat of black car primer and then adding more subtle passes with a grey and white can from above to create the impression of shadows.

Next came the process of picking out the finer details and adding a couple of small points of interest to make the whole thing pop, followed by a dry-brush with a light grey and then a homemade black/brown wash to tie the lot together.





I was more than pleased with the way that the whole thing turned out, and I think that it'll work well as both a piece of functional terrain and a potential backdrop for photographing minis in the future too.

Scouts of the Marines Penitent Chapter fan out into the treacherous backstreets of Far Corfe in search of their mutant prey...
Let me know what you think of this build on here or on social media.

10 comments:

  1. Nice work it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man - no one was more surprised about that than me!

      Delete
  2. Closing off some of the open sides really helped to make this a believable structure. I particularly like the louvres on the rear wall - is that just made from a vent cover?

    The grey with the yellow accent also really helps shift the setting into something much more industrial. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, thanks for the kind compliments.

      Yeah, the back is a vent cover that I'd already chopped up to make some stairs from, and it just happened to fit nicely into the back of the thing.

      Luckily for me, my wife hasn't figured out that I was supposed to use it to ventilate the bathroom chimney yet...

      Changing the ground to grey and the walls to white really seemed to help pull it out of the Tatooine setting too (not that there's anything wrong with that, you understand!).

      Delete
  3. Great work really appreciate you sharing this inspiring piece....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man - I really appreciate people being inspired by my work!

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Funnily enough, I bid on a couple of those pod racer garages the other day with 15mm stuff in mind but in the end they went for more than I was prepared to pay. Now I've seen what can be done with one, I might bid a bit higher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback.

      The irony is that things like this seem to become more popular on eBay after you do a blog post on them!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's some cool looking piece of scenery!

    ReplyDelete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...