Saturday 15 August 2020

Far Corfe: Underhive Nomads

The Nomads stalk through the alleyways and backstreets of the Underhive...
 

I've been picking up the random minis from GW's past on eBay that nobody else seems to want for a while now, and one of these was a ganger from House Cawdor that had been hacked about to an almost ridiculous degree by its previous owner.

I think the thing had lost both it's hands and perhaps even its legs too, but I was determined to make something out of it, and so I raided the bits box for replacement parts and ended up liking the results so much that I was soon back on eBay looking for more minis from the same range.



I hacked them in half with a jeweler's saw, as the legs that belonged to the original minis always looked kind of stunted and lacking in dynamics to my eye, almost like the gangers were too dumpy and cumbersome to be able to get up to a run.

Genestealer Hybrid legs lent that kind of utilitarian look that works so well with these kind of scavengers/nomads/scoundrels, and backpacks from the Tempestus Scions sprue help to give the impression that they're rootless and wandering in search of prey and pillage.

Of course, they're actually a mix of first edition Cawdor and Redemptionists, but the sculpts are so similar that there's hardly any disparity between the two, all are wearing leather masks and sporting hoods that I wanted to look like waterproof material made ragged by their harsh environment.


Obviously I added another shotgun-wielding member to the group in the time between those two sets of photos being taken, but the main thing that I spent time agonising over was the colour of the smocks the nomads were wearing.

I wanted them to be individual, which meant some variation in colour, but I also wanted to keep a fairly muted and desaturated palette too, as I thought that too many vivid colours could make them look more like Power Rangers than Underhive Desperados.

In the end, I was pretty happy with the way they turned out - a small but elite band of ferocious wanderers that have learned to carve out their own niche in the human eco-system of the Underhive.

As always, let me know what you think, either here or on social media.

And check back next time as I begin to paint up what might turn out to be a large and very much mutated warband...

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how the look of a model can be altered by something like a head swap or new dynamic legs. These look great, I particularly like the blue-hooded guy striding forward with his shotgun. They look a perfectly mean and humourless crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ain't here to play pattycake and make friends, pilgrim!

      But seriously, thanks for taking a look and offering comment.

      These are one of those things that just started out on a whim and eventually became a thing of their own, with no real plan other than to see how the first one turned out.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant thanks for sharing 👍 inspiring work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome - thanks for taking the time out to have a look and leave a comment.

      Delete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...