Monday 9 November 2020

Trash Terrain: Garage/Lockup/Hideout...

 

Cops mount a night raid on the Punks at what they thought was a secure location...

A while back I posted about a garage that I made from a Star Wars Micro Machines Action Fleet pod-racer playset, which seemed to be quite well received. Even at the time I was on the lookout for more stuff from the same range in order to make similar terrain pieces. I landed a couple, but for some reason they sat on the to do pile for a couple of months before I found the time and motivation to finish one of them off.


The first one that I worked on was the Naboo Hanger playset, which pretty much came with all of the pieces that you can see in the pictures above. My idea was to make it fit in with the previous set that I'd converted, and so I thought that some serious remodeling of the original layout would be necessary.




I started off by using the upper section to create a second storey for the building, enclosing it and adding features from the Maelstroms Edge terrain sprue. Then I enclosed the lower hangers too, building the walls out of polystyrine and the rooves out of an old for sale sign topped off with corrugated card.

I added an old printer cartridge and various bits from my pile around the model to add more gubbins and details, used filler to cover over the battle droids molded into the ground and also added a catwalk to the right-hand side of the build. This was made from the same material as the roof and a leftover MDF staircase, with granny grid for flooring and handrails made from old sprues.




I used a paste of dried tea leaves in PVA glue to hide most of the sins on the front of the build, simulating some kind of moss or lichen, and then sealed the entire thing with mod podge. It was then primed in black and hit with graduated passes of grey and white from above, all using pound shop rattle cans.

I used Vallejo Black Red on the doors and Black Grey gubbins, which were dry-brushed with Red Leather and Light Grey respectively. The ground and the moss were first painted with a slate grey and a dark green emulsion and then dry-brushed with Light Grey and Golden Olive. Finally, everything was then hit with a heavy wash of black and burnt umber acrylics diluted with water and washing-up liquid, before being sealed with a spray of polyurethane varnish.

I was pleased with the results and even more pleased to have what should have been a pretty quick build off of my workbench and onto the gaming table - or at least it would have been, were it not for a certain fun-stopping pandemic...

As always, let me know what you think, either here or on social media.

6 comments:

  1. This is great - it really works nicely as a cyberpunk filling station. I really like the side with the stairs and door in the wall - it's got a lot of visual interest and playability. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man - it was really a challenge to make something that worked as an entire building with this set, a piece of terrain that had functionality on most sides. Getting the brainwave that this was where I could use the stairs was a bit of a breakthrough moment.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! I love posts like this, that make me re-examine every little thing I consider junk to see what real potential it might have. Very inspirational stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments - I always see it as an achievement to take something that would have been thrown out and turn it into an item that has a whole new life.

      Delete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...