Monday 14 September 2020

Far Corfe: Chthonian Horror

Even though they outnumbered it six to one, the Punks couldn't help thinking this was not going to go their way...

Whenever you get a new film dropping for a major franchise, you can guarantee that there's going to be a raft of merchandise released on its heels in order for the biggest possible cash-in. And you can also guarantee that a certain amount of that stuff is going to end up being sold off at a discount too.

Recently the three inch scale Rathtar (the squidgy thing that Han Solo has aboard his ship at the start of The Force Awakens) started turning up on the cheap in some stores, and seeing as how some people hasd already used it in 28mm to 32mm builds, I picked one up to do the same myself.

The Rathtar languishes alongside various other projects in the noontime sun.

Though I'd seen the thing chopped in two and made to emerge from a magical portal, I decided to keep it intact and have the thing free to move around on its own base. So I mounted it on a wooden dowel and used an old CD for the base itself.

Luckily for me, I had some pieces of expanding foam left over from another project, and so I used one of these to make the bulk of the base, figuring that I could use the strange, random shape it had assumed in some way.

I primed the Rathtar black and then gave it a zenithal highlight in white, both from pound-shop rattle cans, followed by a basecoat of Vallejo Hull Red. I picked out the spots with Nazdreg Yellow and the fleshy parts of the mouth with Voluptuous Pink.

Last of all, I went over all the areas of red with Army Painter Purple Tone, in order to give the impression that the entire thing was slick and dripping with extruded fluids that most likely stink to high heaven and burn like battery acid too.


There was a weird shape on the foam that looked like a tentacle of some kind, and so I tried to work it in as looking like the monstrosity was somehow manifesting itself from the ground below, which I think I kind of managed to pull off.

So, short post this time round, but what do you think?

This disgusting thing could easily serve as an alien creature, summoned demon or any number of unpleasant things in a table-top game.

Let me know what you think in the comments below or on social media, and I hope to be back soon with some shots of the Chaos Warband that I've been working on recently.

Here's a sneak peak:




4 comments:

  1. That's a fab idea and it looks great. Nice work on the beastmen as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - there's so much stuff stuff on the Crooked Dice site that's appealing.

      Delete
  2. Really cool idea, always liked the random monsters you get in these films. Nice to see it painted up for a 28mm setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for stopping by and taking a look - I'm always on the hunt for something that fits the bill like this.

      Delete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...