Friday 4 September 2020

Trash Terrain: Hostile Environment Hab-Pods

A tense mercenary band scopes out an abandoned scientific outpost...

I'm always seeing really nice stuff that other people are building on their blogs and social media posts, often out of the most unlikely and ingenious things that they find lying around the place. And to be honest, it makes me jealous and gives me the kind of itchy palms that can only be relived by doing the same thing myself.

This means that whenever I'm out and about, I'm always on the look out for a potential new project or something that might look good stuck onto something else. An while in Wilkinson's recently, I came across some cheap plastic dishes that were being sold to be used as a drawer tidy, and as they were pretty cheap, I grabbed four of them.

Gathering the basic materials

I'd seen a hamster home turned into a hazardous environment pod kind of thing by the ever-talented Iain Wilson over at Maelstrom's Edge, and I just so happened to have treated myself to some of their wonderful Terrain Sprues not long after. And so I decided to use these to do something similar, rather than just using salvaged bits and pieces like the tight-arsed bugger I normally am.


Just by adding a couple of elements to the basic shells, I could already see where this build was going, and I was inspired to press straight on with this first pod, as well as making some more with other details and taking the idea in slightly different directions.

Most of the pods I was sure could get away without being based, as they're very sturdy and are supposed to look like they've been plonked down in the middle of the setting, rather than being left there over a long period of time to have stuff build up around them. I also put one of the pods on legs and added a base to it, just for the sake of having something a little different in there too.

I base-coated them in black and then gave the pods a heavy zenithal highlight in first grey and then white, wanting the look to be something like industrial grade plastic or a similar synthetic material. After that I picked out the details in Vallejo Black Grey, dry-brushed the same with a light grey and washed the entire lot with a mixture of black and burnt umber craft paints watered down with some washing-up liquid mixed in as a flow-agent.





I think that the end result is quite impressive, especially based on the cheapness of the basic materials used and the speed with which I was able to get these pods completed. They'd probably work in most environmental settings too, be it arctic, dessert, jungle or event he vacuum of the lunar landscape.

So there you have it, a nice little build that's completed and ready for the gaming table in no time at all and looks pretty good, even if I do say so myself.

As always, let me know what you think, either here or on social media.

13 comments:

  1. Those are great. The plastic desk-tidy containers are a super bit of terrain spotting. I feel envious of the Americans with their exciting Electrical Junction boxes, that make such a cool basis for buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT?!?

      The time I spent wandering around the aisles in B&Q and Wickes before I realised that they're just not a thing that we have over here!

      But at the same time, I did find the greeblies that I used on the top of the pods as a kind of air-vent, so it's not like it was time wasted.

      Thanks very much for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts on this build.

      Delete
    2. Which is amusing because I see the British and European ones and think the same thing!

      The North American ones are just too obvious to me...

      Delete
  2. That little alien critter from Ramshackle Games looks very fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what it's supposed to be, as it was in a shoe-box of miscast stuff that the guy at Ramshackle sent me a year or so back.

      Do you know what the thing is?

      I kind of just reason that it's some random alien hanger-on or a young Jokaero.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, they turned out better than I expected.

      Delete
  4. These are very cool! A perfect colony settlement or sci-fi trailer park. I really like the one on legs - adds a nice bit of variation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never thought of them as being the sci-fi equivalent of a trailer, that gives them a whole other dimension for being inhabited by inbred crater-billies...

      Delete
  5. These are really great little buildings, and being both strong and flat topped, can be used in as more than just LOS blockers.

    If you do more it would be interesting to see a few that have been added on to... sheet metal and wooden sheds, or local brick add ons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, my first idea was to make these into what were supposed to be temporary shelters that had been pressed into use as permanent residences. I might grab a couple more and do that with them in the near future.

      Delete

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...